The Nursery Assessment Class
- The Nursery Assessment Class at Wyre Forest School caters for children with a range of additional needs who have been referred through the preschool forum. It is based in the Early Years Hub on the Habberley Campus.
- Children attend here, usually alongside a mainstream nursery, for 2-3 sessions per week. Each session runs from 9.00-11.30am or 12.30-3.00 pm
- Highly experienced staff work closely with a range of professionals including speech and language therapists, psychologists, healthcare experts, as well as sensory specialists.
- We place the child’s parents/carers at the heart of the assessment process. Working together enables us to appropriately assess and prepare the child for the next stage of their schooling, whether that be at a mainstream or special school.
- Children in the Nursery Assessment Class also benefit from working with children at Jack and Jill’s Nursery who are based with us in the Early Years Hub.
Reception – Year Two
Here at Wyre Forest we understand the importance of your child’s first years at school. For young children with additional needs it is essential that they are surrounded by;
- Positive relationships
- A safe, happy environment to learn both indoors and outdoors
- Skilled teachers and practitioners that understand your child’s needs and take their learning forward from their individual starting points
- A practical, play-based curriculum that supports them in reaching their full potential
- The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Curriculum is organised into 7 areas of learning and development:
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Communication and Language
Understanding the World
Expressive Arts and Design
Most children in Reception and Year One are based in the Early Years Hub on the campus, and then move to the main school building at the start of Year Two. Staff work extremely closely together to provide a curriculum based on Early Years principles and practice until the end of Year Two so that learning is based around individual children’s needs.
Our aim is for you and your child to have a happy and confident start to their school life here at Wyre Forest.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Alison Hopkins at the school.